Andy Franck's profile

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Tue, Mar 2, 2021 4:05 PM

Closed

Acknowledged

Lightroom Classic: Spot Removal Brush Render Glitch When Converted to Compressed DNG

I am consistently finding all spot removal adjustments rendered as pink block artifacts after converting to compressed DNG. I am using LR Classic 10.1.1 on a 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I've seen the problem with a Canon R5 (raw and c-raw), Canon 5DmkIII, and Fuji X-T3 (RAF). The artifacts don't immediately appear - only when rendering 1:1 - so they are easy to overlook. I can remove the artifacts by modifying each spot removal adjustment in some way (often I'll just select an adjustment and nudge the feather slider up and down by one so the adjustment isn't affected). Also, there doesn't seem to be a problem when adding spot removal adjustments to images after they are converted to compressed DNG. Not sure how long this problem has been around - I've just discovered it when testing compressed DNG as a possible way to manage file sizes from the R5. Here are screenshots showing the original raw, compressed DNG, and exported PSD...

 

Accepted Solution

Adobe Administrator

 • 

10.9K Messages

 • 

143.5K Points

9 m ago

I've logged this bug with the Classic team. Thanks for the reports.

Adobe Administrator

 • 

10.9K Messages

 • 

143.5K Points

9 m ago

Do you see the same rendering artifacts in Adobe Camera Raw?

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Interestingly, no. I just opened the same DNG in Photoshop via Camera Raw and do not see the artifact... it only renders in LR.

Adobe Administrator

 • 

10.9K Messages

 • 

143.5K Points

That is curious. Do you see the artifact in Lightroom Classic with the GPU disabled?

Adobe Photography Products

Quality Engineering - Customer Advocacy

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

I turned off GPU acceleration and at first the artifact remained even when I navigated to other photos and back (also switching between library and develop modules). After quitting and relaunching LR I initially saw the artifact but it went away when I switched from Library to Develop - and the artifact no longer renders in an exported PSD.

However... (there's always a 'however', right?) with the GPU sill off I went back to a copy of my original CR3, added a spot removal, and converted to compressed DNG. The artifact is in this new file.

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Sorry for the rapid-fire responses. I may have been too quick to reply the last time. With further poking around, turning the GPU acceleration off does not seem to reliably correct the artifact. Not sure what I did before, but I have another file where the artifact persists regardless of GPU setting. 

Thanks for your attention on this.

Adobe Administrator

 • 

10.9K Messages

 • 

143.5K Points

9 m ago

Can you walk me through, step by step, how to create the issue on an image which currently doesn't exhibit the problem?

  1.  
  2.  
  3.  
  4.  
  5.  
  6.  
  7.  

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Sure, no problem.

1. Select any raw image.

2. Add at least one spot removal adjustment.

3. Convert the file to  DNG (using the Library -> Convert Photo to DNG... menu item in the Library module) with the "Use Lossy Compression" option selected.

4. If the artifact doesn't immediately appear, view image at 100%, making sure to wait for the preview to fully render.

Hope this helps. I've been able to reproduce this on three computers using images from multiple cameras.

Champion

 • 

1K Messages

 • 

15.9K Points

9 m ago

I can duplicate the pink square issue with your recipe .  I see it in Library Loupe and the thumbnail in Grid and on the filmstrip in ALL the modules.  

Canon 5dMk3.  MacOS 10.15.7

Photo of blue sky for sensor test.

(edited)

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Thanks - I appreciate the confirmation

Champion

 • 

1K Messages

 • 

15.9K Points

I never use compressed DNG as there have been several threads of issues with it from past forum threads including this issue. 

(edited)

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

That's good to know. I've been extensively using DNG in our workflow for years with no issues. As I mentioned, I've been trying out the compressed option to lessen the impact of our new R5. Fortunately we do have a huge storage upgrade for our servers being provisioned to roll out in the next few weeks - so if, as you say, compressed DNG is generally problematic I may just stick with the old reliable non-compressed option.

630 Messages

 • 

12.5K Points

9 m ago

I can confirm the same on my Windows machine. Like Bob, both in library Loupe and Grid

18 Messages

 • 

246 Points

Wow, definitely the same issue and some in-depth info. I did search before posting to see if my problem had been discussed already but failed to find these conversations. I'll be doing some reading this evening.

380 Messages

 • 

6.7K Points

9 m ago

I can also replicate this issue on my Windows 10 machine after converting to lossy DNG from a NEF raw file.